Thursday, September 18, 2008

Dragonfly revisited

Deep water

Well, who would've thought it?
Who would've considered?

And now in the face of potential fade
I can't help but wonder if the feeling grays elsewhere.
I have nothing but Fridays to judge
and how much can they say?
Yet flanking me, perched on wood,
and consumed of consuming sweet rice,
I can't help but jump inside.

I have so much to give up
and so long to go.

And what of those other times?
I've locked those away and considered
forgetting where I put them.
But the rocks were to real,
the feet too big,
the sand between our toes just the same,
and the little things too little.
I am coopted.
The deep water just a little farther out there,
yes, that way.
And we never knew it.
That wonderful blue compiled of the little things,
extremely precious and watery in the sun,
I have so long to go.

And what should I have done?
Officer please believe me,
don't you work this beach?
Aren't you here to protect me?
It came from out there
and stole our well being!
Tilted our even keel.
Under the cover of little things,
empty malt bottles,
and stupid conversations
it move in
it invaded.
Yes, from out there
from the deep water.

Or did we go to it?
I have so far to go.

But now there are only Fridays,
and no more afternoons at that,
with that precious brown fluid
finding purchase on places never intended.
But never to worry, it washes out,
and memories along with it.
But could we have known?
If so, I would've accepted every drop with glee,
and held it as most precious.
Even the dangerous saliva,
conducive to rashes and the red ring,
I would've cherished as the life blood itself,
and taken inside of me.

But now there are only Fridays,
and they've just prolonged the trip inland.
Elongated the process of going places I don't want to go.
And leaving places I never intended visiting.
But the weight is upon me even now,
taking away my breath,
even away from the water,
and flying eggs,
and the feel of big feet in my hands.
I sob at the loss,
or is it the realization?
That we sounded into the deep waters
and rolled in the sands of concern
and never knew we were there.

08/15/2001

No comments: