Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Groove Theory

Well, it's been over a month since I blew a headgasket. When the head was off, I grooved it. If you don't know what that is, you can look here.

http://somender-singh.com/content/view/7/31/

Now the last tank of gas I used and the one I just put in are both 89 octane mid-grade! That's significant because this is a (relatively) high compression engine with a turbo charger. These are normally the conditions that require super unleaded. However, with the grooves, I've run up to 8psi.

The plan is to continue testing the effectiveness of these grooves on my setup. The next step is to buy Knocksense from my boy Boris. Once I can comfortably and safely monitor knock, I'd like to start working on altering ignition timing and leaning out the on boost air fuel ratio.

Just to give an example of the some of the success people have found running this mod, here is a post from a Guy in Denmark on the TB forums.


I'm running 17.4 psi of boost, on our med. grade petrol.

Got a mutch smooter running engine, better fuel economy, and more resistent to ping.


That thread is here.

If I can get to 17 psi on mid grade, I'll be over the moon!

No comments: