Thursday, April 17, 2008

Console_GetOpt

For you PHP nerds out there, I'm sick and tired of GetOpt. It's nice and useful for dealing with gathering command line arguments, but HOW you get to those arguments is the problem.

As an example, if I pass an argument to a script such as ....

"some_script -p Jack -u Dempsy"

... then the data structure I get back is something like...


Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[0] => Array
(
[0] => p
[1] => Jack
)

[1] => Array
(
[0] => u
[1] => Dempsy
)

)

[1] => Array
(
)

)


Now is it just me or is that kind of cumbersome? Wouldn't it be nice to get back something like...


Array
(
[p] => Jack
[u] => Dempsy
)



That said, I wrote this.


function &condense_arguments($args)
{
$new_args_list=array();
foreach($args[0] as $arg)
{ $new_args_list[$arg[0]]=$arg[1]; }
return $new_args_list;
}


This will provide the type of data structure we're talking about.

I sent this as a note to "somebody" at the PEAR site. It would be great if I could actualy send it straight to a maintainer but the site doesn't seem to support this.

Now let's see what happens shall we?

No comments: