Saturday, November 01, 2008

Object/Relational Mapping is the Vietnam of Computer Science

While writing some copy for the 15 Dragonflies site I'm developing, I did a little research to make certain my ideas on a couple of things and stumbled onto a page / list entry with the title above. The title alone caused me a good deal of laughter, but the ensuing discussion is downright sick.

Austin Ziegler does a very good job of talking about the issues surrounding OO databases and touches lightly on other issues that result for the "Impedance Mismatch" that OODBMS vendors like to banter about. As a matter of fact, he's a far less abrasive version of Fabian Pascal, but no less entertaining at the same time.

I'm certainly glad to read this stuff from time to time. Especially in light of my present circumstances and my decision to roll my own as opposed to working for blokes on band wagons. Being told that you suck because you aren't good at doing something that sucks, well...., SUCKS!

What do I suck at? Well, I'm glad you asked. I suck at accepting the idea that these bloated carcass frameworks like Cake and Ruby on Rails are great. I suck at the idea of accepting XML as the best thing since sliced bread. I suck at accepting the idea that the extremely expensive overhead of OR mapping is to be accepted.

I wonder if 15 Dragonflies is the first development house to openly eschew this folly and call it for what it is.

No comments: