Thursday, March 19, 2009

Absolutely amazing!

One of the regulars where I work told me that she was an English major. When I pressed why she chose that field of study, she mentioned being a writer. Of course, I had to read something. What I found is absolutely amazing! It's below.

A Native Land

Above these thorns of primrose
How neatly our shadows
Rise and fall
Like waves surfing
The ocean's incoming tide
The scorched night brings the abandonment
Of malignant consequence

I never knew the depths
Of your golden valleys
Hidden crevasses conquered
By migrant pilgrims
To rest in the fields
Of wheat in my womb

Tangerine lips press
And bring dimension
Upon this festering curiosity
Like coming home
To a native land
Your pale inbred hands
Faithfully pervade
The continent of my mind
Because it is not your own

So eager to lose ourselves
In the honey-thick gravity
Of love so new
The only limb of experience
Youth's warrior to an endless dawn
Two tangled bodies
Bruise the patient sky
A yellow shiver
Ripping the smooth night
With its edgy spine

------------------------------------------------------

Her name is Christine, but I only know her old last name from her marriage, which is Long.

The page where this is printed is at http://www.muse-apprentice-guild.com/spring_2006/pantanos_poets/christine_long.html

Enjoy!

No comments: