Monday, May 19, 2008

Guitar lovage

I think I'm starting a new improvement spurt in my guitar playing.

Just so you know, I've been playing since I was nine. Let's see...., I'm 41 now so that's 32 years right?

Now I'm not going to claim to be some guitar god but I can hold my own. However, I've really become a specialized instrument. I play what I like to play and play that rather well. A lot of other stuff that I don't care much for will be a challenge to some degree. Sure, I'll pick it up much faster then a noob, but I won't sound as tho i've been at 32 years either.

But whatever. Last night and this morning was great for playing. A passage that I had found a number of months back got some new stuff added to it. As a matter of fact, it's now just about a complete song. I can hear the singing and the guitar is in place.

The key, and this harkens back to the first sentence in this rant, is that it's difficult stuff. I've gotten into this thing or sound that requires slides to affect lightning fast position changes. It's funny how it started with another passage I wrote a couple of months back then worked it's way into the one in question. However, in finishing the song, it's now blossomed to a level of difficulty that almost has me feeling like a beginner.

But man does it sound awesome also!

It's a good thing I learned sometime back how to practice. In short, only play it as fast as you can play it perfectly.

Prolly the funniest thing I've learned in my playing in the last two years is how much the consideration of showmanship and performance increases as the difficulty of passages increase. I never gave it much thought before, but those lazy sloppy days have to go away to pull off the stuff I'm doing now.

BTW, this is my main guitar these days. Pretty well knackered, but I love it.

No comments: